Sunday, April 28, 2013


A500.5.3.RB  -  Blog   - SchmidtSandra - Critical thinking about critical thinking


Question 

Take some time to reflect on the current state of your critical thinking competences. 

Consider your thinking processes when you started the course.  

Have they changed at all?

 Have you been able to internalize any of the techniques and concepts you have learned? 

What will it take to make lasting, positive changes in the way you think?  

Response 

On the web site home page of "CriticalThinking.org, there is quote by "Francis Bacon (1605) "Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture."

In the book titled "Learning to Think Things Thru" critical thinking is defined by Richard Paul as the ability to "thinking about what you are thinking" (Nosich 2012).  Human beings apply that concept of critical thinking every day.  

The use of critical thinking concepts is in your every day life, in my belief, is the best method to internalize critical thinking elements into your thinking.   Concepts like elements and standards of reasoning, system thinking, fallacies and logic, are a few that can really challenged ones thinking.  It challenges you to think it all the way thru.

Critical thinking is a core leadership quality. In the international journal of leadership studies Winston and Patterson, states that "critical thinking skills include concepts of logic." (2006)

I also discovered that there is an entire community of critical thinkers.  This community of thinkers have spent much of their research efforts focusing on the many concepts and elements of critical thinking.  I have found that the web site is www.criticalthinking.org has many resources (articles, research) and even a YouTube site for critical thinkers.

As I expand my knowledge of the critical thinking disciple, I am using the various techniques in my role as leader and manager.  I am able transfer those skills in both my personal and professional life

The impact of improving my critical thinking skills have been evident in my professional life. In a recent mid-year performance review my manager he commented that I ask relevant and thought provoking questions that cause the staff and senior management to think things through and seek greater meaning to a new assignment or challenge which may lead to different or a "non-obvious conclusion."

I plan to continue developing my skills by 1) continuing to apply what I learned about critical and 2) continuing to seek opportunities to learn additional skills thru academia and professional critical thinking organizations.


References

Nosich, G. M. (2012). Learning to Think Things Through. Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.

Winston, Bruce & Patterson, Kathleen (2006) International Journal of Leadership Studies, Vol 1 Iss 2, 2006, pp.6-66, School of Leadership Studies, Regent University







No comments:

Post a Comment